Monday, June 27, 2005

Last night in Almaty

We're booked on Air Astana to Moscow on Tuesday night, hoping to get on the flight from Moscow to Atlanta on Wednesday. We're on the waitlist, but with SkyMiles, you never know. We will go to the ticket counter and beg, plead, or whatever else it takes.

Today we had the requisite medical examination of Dub & Lena, required to get our exit visas. They are both healthy. Dub weighed in at just over 26lbs and Lena 23lbs. They're about the same height, 33". The doctor gave both kids a clean bill of health, with a few recommendations. He said Lena's "outey" belly button should go away. First time I've heard that. He said, after we told him that Dub sings all the time, to make sure that we get him in front of lots of music asap.

After a great nap (all 4 of us), we just played and played and played, then went out with Marina to a local mall where they have another great indoor playground filled with the little plastic balls. We ate at "King Burger", which is actually BurgerKing, not sure why they changed the name like that. Dub devoured half a hamburger and a bunch of fries. Lena wouldn't eat her hamburger, but loves fries. Go figure. Came home, said bye-bye to the Morins, who are here till Friday night, and put the kiddos straight to bed. BIG day tomorrow.

Our embassy interview is at 4pm, after which we go straight to the airport for the 5+ hour flight to Moscow. We arrive in Moscow at 10pm local time, and don't expect to get to our bed until at least midnight, having heard that Moscow customs are wearying to say the least. We'll do our best to keep the kids up until we get to the hotel, so that they will be sure to sleep through the night and be ready for an evern bigger day (God willing) on Wednesday.

So, I don't know if we'll post tomorrow, probably not, since we'll be traveling until very, very late. We're staying in the hotel across the street from Sheremetyevo airport, so we'll hoof it over there first thing and beg to get on the SVO-ATL flight.

Please pray that God would grant us this little piece of totally undeserved grace by putting us on Wednesday's flight to Atlanta. If He chooses not to, so we'll spend Wed-Sat in Moscow and head out on our confirmed flight on Sunday. Thursday through Saturday's flights are overbooked, so those don't look likely. Pray, pray, pray!!!

Blessings,
Sleepy, Weary, Grumpy, and Happy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the last night in Almaty! Let the kids sleep when they can - they are smarter than us adults and know when they NEED sleep! Are there daily SVO-ATL flights? Amazing. Can you believe this will be your second time in Moscow? This time you have little soccer players with you. Travel well. Baba and Papu

Anonymous said...

It's hard to believe this adventure is coming to a close... And an even bigger one is about to begin! Angel, I remember talking to you Christmas Eve and hearing you say what a long journey it had been already. And that was six months ago! Talk about a long pregnancy! I am overjoyed for all of you... especially for these precious little children that God has delivered from stark institutionalism into a loving, Christ-exhaulting home. I pray with all I am that God will continue to turn hearts towards adoption. There are so many more Lena and Dubs in the world... God bless you for taking two of them. Can't wait to hear about the whole experience from you in person... hopefully soon. Lots of love!
cousin eliot and jessie

Anonymous said...

From Tuesday Morning all the way across the world and back again. Who would have ever thought this is how it would turn out. The two of you are just amazing. Proof positive that there are bigger plans for all of us from up above. Will be praying you get your plane for Wednesday and that you have a safe, uneventful trip home. Don't you just want to jump up and down and scream with joy. I'm so happy for you all. Lucky Lena and Dub, lucky Angel and Kevin. Be careful and stay in touch.
Kathy

Anonymous said...

You're in our thoughts and prayers. May God's grace and peace, love and strength - AND JOY, continue to be with you all, as you travel back to the United States and to Atlanta! I'm so excited for you all! I was so delighted to read that you "played and played and played and played!" :-) That's wonderful! We're thankful for you, Kevin and Angel, and thankful for Lena and Dub!! Blessings on you all!
Smiles, Jennifer (& Wallace) Bonner

Anonymous said...

Amen to Jennifer Bonner's thanks to you for letting us all share your beautiful story. It has been so interesting and such a pleasure to read all your "blogs." I hope you will continue them on a daily (or at least weekly) basis after you get to Atlanta. I'm especially interested to hear the progress they make in learning to understand and speak the English language. Clue: I think they'll learn it faster from other KIDS than from the grownups. We'll see if that happens. At least you might be surprised how fast they learn to communicate with other children. Good luck and WELCOME HOME!! Aunt Tincy in Texas

Anonymous said...

It's nearly midnight, here in Albany, GA, on Wednesday, and I'm missing you guys like crazy! (Yes, I know you don't REALLY even know me - just a fellow Blue Hose, who remembers you, and has been in prayer with and for you and your children since you first shared knews of it all through the PC alumni e-mail list!) I was headed to bed tonight, and told Wallace I'd be there in a minute, but that I had to go check on "my little family." He said, "Okay," because he knew EXACTLY what I was talking about! There's not a single t.v. show I watch on a regular basis, but this daily blog . . . oh, man - you SO beat t.v.!!!! Expected not to hear from you last night. Am hoping two nights in a row means you're on an airplane headed home! You all are in my thoughts and prayers. I know many challenges lie ahead, as they do for us all, but I am so excited about the joys and precious experiences and memories that lie ahead for each of you, that I can hardly keep myself from waking everyone in my house up right now and shouting, "They're coming HOME! They're coming HOME!!!!"
Smiles, blessings, and love,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

I am going through withdrawls! it is like I missed the season finale of my favorite reality show!! I keep thinking, "Are they here? Did they make the plane? Are they at McDonalds in Moscow? Will Jeff Probst be there to give them 1 million dollars?" Ahhh! I knew this day would come...the day when the only reality show in my life WAS my life *sigh* I have loved sharing this chapter with you.
"See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come" Song of Solomon 2:11-12a
The PA Boss